Wednesday, September 27, 2006

What the hell does this word mean?

So I am reading a scientific paper from 1953 today talking about different obesities, and I come across this word:

frilosity

apparently it is also a symptom of and underactive thyroid.

Also, the word does not seem to exist in the English language. I have googled it, wiki'd it, and tried several online dictionaries, general and medical ones, to no avail.

So now I ask the world, what the hell is frilosity?

I can't even seem to infer its definition from context. I am sorry to draw you into the vortex of my linguistic nightmare, but I need help!

If you know the meaning, please let me know and cite where you got it.

UPDATE: See the comments for the reference, but the amazing sparkle has a friend who has come to the rescue! It essentially means always feeling cold. Yay learning! Yay community! Je vous remercie de tout coeur!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

frilosity...

can you use it in a sentence, please?

Anonymous said...

reaching out through the power of community i got this much so far:

the french word 'frilosité' means a fear of the cold. but wouldn't obese people be less fearful of the cold? not sure if this helps, but it's all i've got.


:)
n

Anonymous said...

right on! knowing librarians is also great (n being a french lit prof):

"frilosity" is a mistranslation of the french medical term frilosité

http://www.med.univ-rennes1.fr/sisrai/dico/446.html

how i figured it out: i found a few instances of the term in the english-speaking medical literature, but they were all in articles published in francophone africa...so i looked it up in a french source.

:-) jason

hamster_grrl said...

Woo hoo!!!

I was also leaning toward a French origin, but couldn't find a good french source. I also thought it would translate over into French as frilocite instead of frilosite. I guess that's what happens when it's been 8 years since my last French class. At least I could still read the french website. Yay!

Thank you! Thank you! thank you!!!

yay community!