Monday, March 31, 2008

The Great Interview Project

A couple of weeks ago, I read about The Great Interview Experiment, an awesome project where bloggers get to discover other random bloggers out there by interviewing a stranger and being interviewed by one.

I signed up, (and you still can, too), and shortly thereafter found my interviewee, Dingo.

I have to say one of the coolest things about this project is not only meeting new bloggers out there, but also the strengthening of the blogging community by showing how we all have stuff in common. In fact, sometimes it's the smallest, strangest things that connect us.

Upon reading Dingo's blog, I was amazed at the little interests we shared zombies, peeps, and Eddie Izzard (I just got tickets to the Philly Stripped Show, btw, EXCITING!!) And there were bigger things, like struggling with writing, getting an advanced degree and quitting smoking.

So, without further ado, I present my interview with Dingo:

1.You mentioned an obsession with zombies. How did you first discover zombies and what led to you becoming obsessed with them?
I remember watching George Romero’s Night of the Living Dead when I was about eight years old (what were my parents thinking?!) and I loved it. I couldn’t sleep for almost a week but I was hooked. It wasn’t until I was in law school that I began my zombie fascination in earnest. I read every book and watch every movie that I could get my hands on. Why zombies? I couldn’t tell you. I have no idea.

Interesting. My passion for zombies just developed this past Christmas, when I got the best white elephant gift EVER, some glow in the dark flesh eating zombie figures. I try to take them everywhere I go in case an opportunity arises where I can take amusing zombie pictures. I haven't fully immersed myself in books and movies yet, I'd love any recommendations!

2. We share a passion for the Easter treats, Peeps. I prefer stale peeps. I am told others like them frozen. Do you like to prepare your peeps in any particular way or are you a straight from the packet into your belly type of person?
Ah, the ol’ frozen or stale Peeps question. To be honest, when I buy Peeps they seldom make it from the store to the apartment. But…since I am still buying the Valentine’s Day Peeps that are on super discount at my local drug store, I suppose you could say I favor stale over frozen.

3.I am intrigued by the changes in your career paths and your dedication to school.Do you think you will pursue a Ph.D. in the future? Why or why not?

I definitely want to pursue a Ph.D. However, I am a little burned out right now so I’m taking a year off before I apply to Ph.D. programs. I’ve been writing for other people for so long that I want to take some time to do some writing for myself.

I think that sounds like a good plan. Speaking as someone who is finishing up a Ph.D. and has been feeling burnt out for the last 2 years, I wish I had taken some time before diving into the doctorate.

4.I watched a fascinating show about shoe fashion hosted by one of the people from
What Not To Wear, and was told that toe cleavage was a much sought-after part of shoe design. How do you feel about toe cleavage?
Toe cleavage. Ew. Nasty. I have a list of fashion pet peeves. Exposed bra straps were at the top of the list but I think I’m going to have to do some recalibrations. Toe cleavage is so much more offensive. But not as bad as Uggs in the summer. Really? Uggs? In 90 degree heat?

I lived in Australia for a time and when I told people there about the Ugg fashion here, they were amazed. To them Uggs are for wearing around the house and wearing them outside is tacky. I think of that every time I see a kid walking around campus in a teeny tiny skirt and a pair of Ugg boots.

5. What is your favorite pizza place in NYC?
I’m almost embarrassed to admit this but my boyfriend and I usually order from Dominos because we’re just too lazy to go out for pizza. When we do out, we like Angelo’s Pizza.

I'll remember that next time I am in the city, thanks!

6. Do you write every day? When you find yourself with writer's block, what do you do to overcome it?

Earlier this year I was frustrated about never having enough time to write so I came up with a Write Every Day plan. I write a half hour each day. No matter how busy I am, I can manage to squeeze out a half hour because it doesn’t have to be in one sitting. If I can grab 15 minutes here, 5 minutes there, it adds up and I find that I often get more writing done than when I tell myself I that have to sit down for 30 minutes and write. When I try to make myself write for 30 uninterrupted minutes I usually spend 29 minutes looking at a blank screen and 1 minute writing schlock.

Writer’s block. Ugh. I smoked my last cigarette on March 10th at 11:22 in the morning. Until then, whenever I was having a brain fog, I would smoke. I have yet to come up with an alternative.

First, congratulations on quitting smoking. It is a hard road, I have been smoke free for a little over 2 years now, but it took about 3,000 attempts to quit before it finally stuck. Be strong! You can do it!

Also, thanks for sharing your writing routine. I must admit I asked that question partly for selfish reasons since my own lack of confidence and motivation to write has been a big obstacle for finishing my dissertation. You have inspired me to just try writing the next time I have 10 minutes to kill before a meeting or something like that rather than waiting for a 30 or 60 minute block of time where I sit in front of a blank screen.

7.What is your favorite warm beverage in the wintertime? Cool beverage in the summertime?

Sweet tea. Hot, cold, lukewarm. Tea, tea, tea. And when I want to shake things up a bit, I have Long Island Iced Tea.


8.If you could live anywhere else in the world, where would it be and why?
San Francisco or London. I love those two cities. I love the vitality and newness mixed with the unexpected peaceful oasis and familiarity of the historical and well-worn. I love being near the water but within a short drive of the country. The sights, the smells, the sounds… I think it’s about time for a vacation.

I also love San Fransisco. I have yet to visit London, but you make it sound very nice.

9. What is the best thing about being a teacher? the worst thing?
The best thing about being a teacher is seeing the light go on in someone’s eyes during class discussion when they suddenly “get it.” The worst thing is apathy. I always try to connect what we are reading to something current, something that touches their lives. There are some students that, for whatever reason, seem to lack passion or even the barest interest in things that directly affect them. This amazes me and I find it sad. To be so young and not care.

I totally know what you mean there.

10. What 5 things would YOU want if you were thrust into the middle of a horror movie?
Hands down, the first thing I need is my Blackberry. Even if there’s no service or it’s not charged (two typical horror movie conventions) I could at least throw it and use it as a weapon. Okay, no, I would not do anything to damage my Blackberry.
I would want an ugly best friend. The shy, brainy, awkward wallflower usually survives. Stick with the wallflower.
I would also want a jock. The jock is always the first one killed. You do not want the only choices for the killer/monster’s next victim to be you or your ugly best friend. You will die. You need a jock as a buffer until you come up with a getaway plan.
One of those big ol’ MagLight flashlights. I am not a fan of the dark.
Twizzlers.

LOL, that is perfect. I think you'd definitely make it out alive with a plan like that.

Well, it was great experience, and I am very glad to have met and gotten to make a new blogging friend!

2 comments:

robin ann mcintosh said...

interesting! thanks for the info, i'm going to check out this project asap.

love your blog!

Neil said...

Great interview. Glad you made a new blogging connection!