Mom reminded me the other day that I have only been here 3 weeks, and have accomplished a good amount of stuff over the past few weeks. It is good to have Mom remind me of that, since I often think about how I am not fluent in French yet and don't have a whole bunch of friends yet. It all takes time, I know.
I am moving into my new apartment on New Year's Eve day! I am very excited to have a place of my own, with my own kitchen and my own bathroom. I haven't had a place that I could truly call my own since August, and I am ready to be a real grown-up again. I went to get renter's insurance and was amused when I asked the agent whether or not there was a deductible. She spoke english, but she had no idea what I was talking about. So I asked (in French) that if my stuff is stolen or destroyed, what would I have to pay. She looked at me again like I had a 3rd eye and she said, nothing, you are completely covered. sweet.
The new job is shaping out well. The people are all nice and have been very patient with my burgeoning French skills. Luckily the holidays have brought several work social events, so I have been able to interact with people and feel more at home there.
I think the most exciting, if not exhausting, holiday activity was the indoor soccer tournament. I must admit, when the recruiters came to the office asking if I wanted to participate, I tried to make excuses and bow out. It has been years since I played soccer, and I'm not exactly the most fit I have ever been. But, my office mates and the recruiters encouraged me, and I signed up. They were short, intense games. There was a black eye and someone kicked the ball into their own goal, and fun was had by all. Against my wildest expectations, our team tied for 2nd place! My legs and back were sore and mad at me for the next few days.
Next on my list of things to do after the holiday is to get health insurance and set up the power and internet at my new apartment.
Zombiedog and I send our warmest holiday wishes!

No comments:
Post a Comment