Sunday, March 01, 2009

apartment tour part 2: the sorry state of my living room

So far these first three months in Europe have been wonderful. I love my tiny little apartment even with all of its tiny-ness because it is right in the center of the city, so if I need anything, it is within walking distance.

So far the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom are in good shape, decorating wise. There is pretty much enough storage and furniture to make these rooms easily livable.

Then there's the living room. Which is sad.
living room 2

I got the table and chairs on eBay for about 15 bucks, which was about what they are worth, but they are not exactly ideal for relaxing at the end of the day.

living room 1

Now this state of affairs is mostly because I don't have a car, so getting and transporting furniture is a bit of conundrum. Also, I have tended to spend any extra money on my travel plans to Paris, London, and Cologne over the next month or so.

While I do think that experiences are more important than things, I am getting damn tired of living my life with my only piece of furniture being my bed.

So I am thinking a cheap little IKEA convertible couch (SOLSTA, if you were wondering), and then one of those chairs with a foot rest. The big question is the color scheme for the room. The sofa is dark grey, and the chair is dark brown, which I know clashes a bit but those are the colors IKEA has so I can't do much else about that. I am leaning toward red, because I love red.

Is anyone out there a fabulous interior designer? Any hints or tips about transforming this place into a livable area would be appreciated!

1 comment:

Albatross said...

Hey, i have been meaning to email you but work is crazy busy. I love all of Domino but this might get you started.
http://www.dominomag.com/galleries/2007/05/smallspaces